A pregnancy-friendly chair looks beautiful, but how do we know we will love spending time on it? A good and high-quality chair for pregnancy makes your life easier and provides a comfortable place to feed your baby too.
If you are pregnant and a little hesitant to spend your money on a chair, keep on reading. In this guide, we are going to show you what are the good reasons and factors to consider before buying a chair that is developed particularly for pregnant ladies and new mothers.
- First, decide what do you need in a pregnancy chair. Some chairs come with an ottoman, you don’t need to buy them separately, however, they are expensive. In case you already have an ottoman and you are happy with it, there is no need to spend extra money on it.
- Why are you buying a pregnancy-friendly chair? Is it for your own comfort only, or you want to cuddle or feed your child? Most chairs in the market are office chair and they are just for sitting comfortably; you can’t feed your child in them. They are more like a cushy living room chair and a stylish version to complement your home décor.
- It doesn’t matter which type of chair you are trying to buying; it has to withstand about two years of heavy use. If it is only stylish and not sturdy, it won’t support your body.
- The National Sleep Foundation states that three-quarters of pregnant women deal with insomnia. The hormone changes in their body and increased metabolism affect their sleep quality. Therefore, it is imperative to know whether the chair you are buying allows you to have a good nap or not, as you are going to face lots of sleepless nights during pregnancy.
- Is it possible to alter the angle of the backrest? Can it rock back and forth? If the backrest of the chair isn’t adjustable, it shows it isn’t going to support sleep. It is just for sitting and doing your office work, not for relishing a deep nap.
- Comprehend the type of chair you are buying. The difference is mainly in the way they move. For instance, there are some products that have an arc that can be moved and adjusted according to your comfort. On the other hand, we have gliders that move forward and backward; they are used for relishing a smoother ride and used often in the offices.
- You need to look for the chairs that have wide padded armrests. They play an immensely great role in keeping your arms relaxed. Especially, when you hold your baby for feeding, you can lean your arms on them easily if they are wide and padded.
- In case you are planning to use a nursery pillow, make sure it fits over or next to the armrest. The armrests of the chair should support it. The office chairs usually don’t have this feature as the space between the armrest and the seat is more than enough and doesn’t hold the nursery pillow. If you are buying it from the store, bring your nursery pillow for the test drive; it will solve your backrest issue and how the armrests support it.
- Does it have wheels? Though having the wheels isn’t necessary, they can be a good edition if you are planning to move your chair around a lot. But if it has wheels, ensure they can be locked as well so that the chair stays stationary when in use.
- Check the frame, if it is not sturdy, don’t buy it. The quality of a pregnancy-friendly chair relies heavily on the frame structure and sturdiness. It should be able to support both the mother and the child. In addition, it shouldn’t have sharp edges or exposed moving parts, as they can hurt you and your child badly. Other than that, it is better to buy a frame without gaps, since gaps can trap a child and you won’t be able to make your baby sleep on the chair also if there are gaps, as he/she can fall through them while sleeping or playing.
- A pregnant lady always needs a wide seat to move around and get comfortable. It should be comfy and firm also. Some women try to buy an immensely soft seat which sinks them down. It becomes tough for them to stand back up again. For that reason, the seat shouldn’t be too soft; the last thing you want is to struggle to stand up when your baby is sleeping in your lap.
- Does it accommodate your preferred breastfeeding position? Pondering this point only can resolve all other issues, as you will be focusing on all those details that are necessary for the safety and comfort of you and your baby.
- Having a footrest in a pregnancy-friendly chair is also good. It supports your feet and allows you to enjoy any seating position you want. Chairs that come with footrests usually don’t come with an ottoman.
- Lastly, is it affordable? Bear in mind, most pregnancy chairs are priced-friendly compared to couches and sofas. You can have them at a convenient price. Furthermore, they are available in a variety of colors and materials. If you love fashion and style, opt for the one that looks lavish and has all the innovative features. But if you love your home’s décor, get the chair that can blend well with the rest of the décor.
Also read: How To Get Up From A Chair During Pregnancy?
All in all, ensure that you will get good mileage out of your pregnancy-friendly chair.
Also, ask yourself how it will look in five or ten years since you aren’t going to use it for one pregnancy session only. It has to support your second or third pregnancy as well. Apart from this, don’t forget to check and follow the manufacturer’s recommended weight limits.
If you are an overweight person, it is pertinent to get a chair that is more sturdy and durable, as you will spend many hours on it all day, day-to-day.