Sectional couches come in different designs, materials, and even sizes. Depending on the material of the design that you have, and also how often you use it, your sectional couch may start wearing with time. Based on what you prefer, you can decide to either buy a new couch or upholster the one you have. The cost of reupholstering your couch will range between $1500 to $5000 due to several factors.
Also, the upholsterer you’ll decide to use will also be important since the cost of labor will vary with each. So before settling for one to upholster your chair, you’ll need to evaluate your options wisely. It is good to establish the level of proficiency for the professional that you decide to hire if you want good results.
Since this is not the only thing that can influence the cost of upholstering your sectional, we shall have a look at the rest below.
Table of Contents
Factors That Influence the Cost of Reupholstering Your Sectional Couch
Just like there are several factors that influence the cost of purchasing a sectional sofa, there are those that influence the reupholstery cost as highlighted below.
- Type of material. From faux, cotton, to leather, there’s quite a variety when it comes to choosing the right material for your upholstery. Also, none of the materials cost the same so this will have a significant impact on the overall cost of upholstering your sofa.
- Labor cost. As mentioned earlier different upholsterers charge differently so this will depend on how much your upholsterer charges for labor.
- Size of the couch. Is it small, medium, or large? Reupholstery prices vary depending on the size of your sectional sofa among other factors.
- The extent of the damage. If the damage is minimal, then you’re more likely to be charged a smaller amount for the upholstery compared to when the damage is extensive.
- Any special features of the chair. Does your sectional sofa have any tuftings, buttons, or perhaps a recliner among other features?
- Any repairs that need to be done. If your sofa has any broken frame or springs, then this will be an additional cost.
- Any additional padding. Be it foam or dacron, you will be charged extra if your sofa will be needing any additional padding.
Choosing The Best Material For Reupholstering Your Sectional Sofa
You might be spoilt for choice when it comes to choosing suitable fabric for reupholstering your sofa because of the wide variety there is. Whether you decide to go for natural or synthetic fabrics, you can’t run out of options. Depending on your style, taste, and budget, among other things, some of the choices you can opt for are highlighted below.
- Cotton. Aside from its durability, the material is also comfortable and easy to clean.
- Leather. It is doesn’t wear easily, making it quite a durable option and it’s also flexible.
- Linen. It is a strong material that is also absorbent and dries faster. When blended with cotton, it forms linen blend which exhibits less wrinkle and is softer.
- Silk. the silk material is known for its smooth and soft texture.
- Nylon. It can be used as a great alternative to silk thanks to its durability and resistance to tearing.
- Acrylic material is another synthetic fiber that is warm, lightweight and it feels a lot like wood.
These are just some of the fiber materials you can choose for your sectional sofa reupholstery. You can opt for other materials, such as cotton blend, polyester, olefin, and vinyl, among many others.
Of course, when choosing a suitable upholstery fiber, you need to put some things into consideration like the color that suits your interior’s theme, presence of pets and children, stain resistance, and how frequently it will be used.
How to Maintain Your Upholstered Sectional Chair
In order to prevent any frequent and unwanted damage to your newly upholstered sofa, you’ll need to properly maintain it. Listed below are some of the ways you can maintain your upholstered sectional couch.
- Protect your upholstered sofa from any stains or sharp objects to prevent it from wearing and tearing within a short while.
- Be sure to regularly clean your couch and be sure to do it with the right cleaning supplies. If the material is leather, then clean it with the advisable cleaning material.
- Always remember to thoroughly clean your seat every week. You can do it at least once a week and be sure to vacuum under your cushions to avoid any accumulation of dust.
- Remember to interchange your cushions to avoid having them wear on one side only. This way, the wearing will be uniform on both sides.
- Avoid putting your sectional sofa in direct sunlight. This means that the sofa will be prone to quick fading depending on the type of fiber used.
- Last but not least, avoid exposing your furniture to any strong chemicals or airborne pollutants.
Advantages of Reupholstering Your Sectional Sofa
Reupholstering your sectional couch comes with several advantages with some of them listed below:
- You get your sofa to look as good as new.
- It is also a more cost-effective option compared to buying a new chair.
- You also get to increase the life of your sofa by reupholstering it. Depending on how well you maintain it, a sectional sofa can last up to 10 years.
- You get the chance to make your sectional sofa more comfortable. This can be done by adding more foam during the reupholstery process.
- It is an environmentally friendly way of recycling your sectional couch.
- It’s a great way to transform your furniture to suit your interior.
As much as there are many advantages to reupholstering your sofa, it is also good to be aware of the downside. First, you will be without a sofa during the time when it’s getting fixed especially if you’ve decided to hire a professional instead of taking the DIY route.
You also have to bear in mind that the type and quality of fabric you choose will determine the longevity of your sofa. For most poor quality material, the fabric tends to wear faster or within a short while.
Although reupholstering your sectional couch is the way to go, the more the adjustments that need to be made, the more the cost you’re likely to incur. But all in all, reupholstering your sectional sofa is an investment that is totally worth it.
Whether it an old heirloom sectional sofa that you want to keep around for longer, or perhaps you just want to give your furniture a new look, we have seen that reupholstering is a great solution. Not to mention also the fact that it is cost-effective and you can also do it as a DIY project!
If you’re working with a professional, it will be easier since you’ll have proper guidance on the right material to choose from. Also, you’ll be able to choose one that is suitable for your interior design theme.